Monday, July 7, 2008

Monday Night Guacamole

*Sigh* - ah, Monday, why must you be so long? I have a longer drive to work, which I just ADORE (20+ miles...one way), which means that on any given evening I get home around 6 p.m. Since we all need a little time to unwind, read: greet and snuggle most adorable husband and most adorable dog, and factor in time it takes to prep and cook even the simplest meal, by the time we actually get around to eating supper any particular night it's around 8 p.m.. Guess who's starving as soon as she walks in the door? ME! Here's something that I like to whip up for a (I tell myself) fairly healthy gnosh before supper. It's quick, easy and not too bad for you!

Janna's Monday Night Guacamole (Serves 4)
2 ripe avocados
juice of 1 small lime
hot sauce
1/3 cup small-dice red onion (or other sweet onion)
1 small-medium tomato (I use one vine-on), seeded, small-dice
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Cut your avocados. Oh wait, you don't know how? Here's how I do it: take your nice, sharp chef's knife and slice the ripe avocados around length-wise. Twist the halves to separate. Remove the pit by tapping your blade into the pit and twisting. Use a spoon to scoop out the smooth, buttery flesh and plop it into a bowl. Immediately add lime juice and loosely "cut" up avocado with spoon. Add hot sauce (start with 6 dashes), onions, salt and pepper. Stir. Add tomato. Taste and adjust lime juice, hot sauce and salt and pepper until peak of deliciousness is attained. Fresh jalepeno, seeded and deveined (or leave veins in if you want it spicier) and small-diced can be used in lieu of the hot sauce.

I love this as a snack. I don't know that I'll be posting many recipes (I don't want to take my friend Lynn's bag), but after a long Monday and a paltry lunch from my work's crapeteria, this really hit the spot tonight. For the few readers I may have, what is your favorite way to make guacamole? Or your favorite quick-after-work-eat-something-now-so-my-stomach-doesn't-implode snack?

Happy Monday!

P.S. - Who else is excited for Antique Road Show? Just how much of a nerd does that make me?!

3 comments:

Jen said...

i don't make guacamole that often. Instead I dream of the guac served at frontera grill in chicago and dream about visiting there again soon. :)

I have looked up Rick Bayless' recipe but haven't made it yet. Maybe when all of you bookclubbers come out my way.

I don't watch antique roadshow. Sorry. ALthough i did just put history detective on my tivo.

Janna said...

I love History Detectives, too! Pretty much down with any PBS show.

Chris said...

Nerd alert! I watch antique roadshow on a fairly regular basis.